CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Monday, April 25, 2011

Jumping for Easter Joy and Eclairs

Now that Spring is here (if you believe that, I have a Sony Walkman to sell you), our favorite activity with the grandkids is jumping on the trampoline.  We had all the kiddos over on Saturday for a barbecue and a wet Easter egg hunt!






The beginning of the hunt.







It was a success.  I'm sure we'll be discovering un-found eggs for the next few weeks.

I went to the Taste of Home cooking school last week.  One of the recipes featured was this one for eclairs.  It's super simple and delicious!

Pastry
1 cup water 
1/2 cup butter, cubed
1 cup flour
1/2 tsp. salt
4 eggs
Filling
2 1/2 cups cold milk
1 package (5.1 ounces) instant vanilla pudding mix
1 cup heavy whipping cream
1/4 cup powdered sugar
1 tsp. vanilla extract
Frosting
2 ounces semisweet chocolate or 1/3 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
2 Tablespoons butter
1 1/4 cups powdered sugar
2 to 3 Tablespoons hot water

♥In a large saucepan, bring water and butter to a boil.  


Add flour and salt all at once and stir until a smooth ball forms.  Remove from heat.  Let stand for 5 minutes.  Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.  Continue beating until mixture is smooth and shiny.


♥Using a tablespoon or a gallon size zip-lock bag with the corner cut...


...form dough into 4 inch x 1 1/2 inch strips on a greased baking sheet.  


Bake at 400 degrees for 35 minutes or until puffed and golden.  Remove to a wire rack.  Split eclairs open.  Cool
♥In a large bowl, beat milk and pudding mix according to package directions.  In another bowl, whip cream until soft peaks form.  Beat in sugar and vanilla, fold into pudding. Fill eclairs.
♥For frosting, in a microwave, melt chocolate and butter; stir until smooth.  Stir in sugar and enough hot water to achieve a smooth consistency.  Cool slightly.  Frost eclairs.  Store in refrigerator.

Enjoy!  Have a napkin handy.

22 comments:

Teachinfourth said...

Looks like a great weekend. I'll take your word on the pastry though...I'm not motivated enough to make them. However, I just might go purchase some someplace.

Julie Harward said...

Looks like everyone had fun..and those eclairs...my very favorite! YUM ;D

Heffalump said...

I love making eclairs. It's always fun to have a fancy dessert that is really easy to make!

Susan Anderson said...

That eclair looks scrumptious!

=)

Tracy said...

Looks like some fun family time was had by all!! Your lawn is looking GREAT!! Speaking of looking great, those eclairs look amazing!! Thanks for sharing!

gigi said...

Wow! I am so jealous! I would love to go to the Taste of Home cooking school! You really learned well, your eclairs are beautiful! You are just so smart :-)

Your pictures are so cute and everyone looked as if they were having a great time! It just sort of shocks me that we are so opposite on the weather schedule. Your pictures have the children in coats and sweaters. Yesterday my GRANDgirls were on the trampoline in their swimsuits. They had just come home from swimiing lessons and need a bounce or two before going home with their daddy. I sure hope yall start getting some warm weather real SOON!!!

Yvonne said...

The eclairs look so yummy. I'll have to give them a try one day.

This is about the time of year we would put up our trampoline. Always so much fun for everyone.

Your egg hunt looks like fun.

Doran & Jody said...

Fun wet weekend!
I went to the show last month and they made the same ones. I haven't tried to make them yet. I'm such a terrible cook.

Ann Marie said...

After our hunt this year.. I said.. next year we MUST count the eggs.. so we know if all had been found! lol!

Looks like Easter was happy for you.. but where is the picture of you jumping/doing flips on the trampoline? :)

Those Eclairs look DIVINE.
It isn't even 10am.. and now I want one..BAD.

mCat said...

Wet and cold or not, the kids look like they were having a blast and that's all that matters!

Joanie said...

Wow, those are big Easter bags/baskets that your grand-kids are carrying around. I bet they had a great time.
Those eclairs look divine!!! Hopefully you will want to make them again :)

Mimi Sue said...

These look so yummy! I'll be right over;) Mimi

Gerb said...

I can NOT wait to try the eclairs! They are one of my weaknesses and this recipe seems simple enough to try. Looks like your Easter was fun!

Natalie said...

The kids are so cute. We had a fun egg hunt too.

The eclairs look yuuuummmmy! I want to go to that kind of class. I love Taste of Home. Next time let's go together.

I loved your trip pictures. So interesting.

Let's get together really soon. Give me a call and we can make plans.

Hugs.

Kazzy said...

My youngest still asked for an Easter egg hunt, just for himself. I indulged him. :)

The eclairs look sinful (which, as usual with this adjective, means scrumptious).

karen said...

Oh you just made me so hungry with that eclair! How fun - a trampoline AND and Easter egg hunt. What a great day!

CB said...

Connie I went to the Taste Of Home cooking show here last week. Our gal also made the Eclairs and I SOOO want to try them.
Yours look like they turned out just like the picture - they are literally picture perfect!!
Wasn't that a fun thing to go to!!

Cheeseboy said...

Good times. You should have put all the easter eggs on the tramp and had the kids play a real game of "crack the egg".

wendy said...

I would NEVER attempt to make an eclair...but I have no problem eating them. yum
Easter egg hunts are so fun. I loved watching the grandkids on "the hunt"....and yes, we always found a few eggs in the next few weeks doing yard work.
kinda funny

Julie said...

My mouth is watering for those!! I hope you bring them to the next get together :) I haven't blogged in forever and I finally just got all caught up on yours!! Looks like you guys have had a lot of fun lately! The trip to Nauvoo is GORGEOUS! Wow. I loved the spirit that you can feel. It's amazing being there. I am so glad you were able to go! :) Hope to see you all soon!

Jenny Lynn said...

I just gained a pound looking at the photo. Looks like you had a wonderful Easter.

Kimmie said...

Love your family photos having FUN together on Easter Weekend!! I can't tell you how lucky you are to have so many family members close to you and that you get along and ENJOY get-togethers often. What a blessing!!

Your Eclairs look DIVINE...like something you would purchase in a bakery! Can't wait to try this recipe out. I can tell all ready, this will be a HIT with my family! Thanks for sharing, thanks for your friendship and I hope you have a HAPPY week!!