CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Let the Sun Shine

We got a solar oven for Christmas!  We were so excited to try it!  Every Saturday, when the sun was shining, we set it up in the back yard (Jacob was glad it was in the back, he didn't want the neighbors to think we're weird)  No sooner did we have it set up, the clouds would come and the sun would be hidden. We'd end up bringing it back in the house without being able to bake anything.  This picture was taken several different times throughout the winter! 


Two Saturdays ago, we set it up and the clouds stayed away!  Finally!  I quickly mixed up some cupcakes and baked them in our outdoor oven!


Voila!  They baked just as well as if they were in my kitchen oven!


I hope that if the time comes that we really need to use the sun for power, it will be in the spring and summer. We'll starve if it's winter!
Click here to go to the Sun Oven website.

14 comments:

Tracy said...

Good to know it works!! :-)

Here's hoping for lots of sun in the near future!!

gigi said...

I beleive we could eat year round down here. Was it expensive and could you tell me a little more about it and where you got it? Thanks, I'm nosey like that.

Kristina P. said...

I have never even heard of these! Awesome.

peggy said...

Well, how about that! There is something new under the sun. My neighbors have hanging baskets with solar lights from QVC, and Connie has an oven! Very interesting.

Valerie said...

Hmmmmm..... as a perennial Camp Director, this intrigues me! I think I like it! (And so would my Young Women!)
Glad it FINALLY worked for you!

Barbaloot said...

How fun-I've never even seen something like that. Here's to LOTS of sun so you can use it:)

Ann Marie said...

Ok... I have recipes that are specifically for Solar Ovens... and I thought this was only something to have "in case" of something bad.. ( like Chad would have to build it. But they sell these?? Oh my.. PLEASE do share the cost.. and where we can buy this.. because yes.. I am nosy too!

Yvonne said...

I'm so glad it worked. That's so cool.

Julie Harward said...

I have seen those...might be a good thing to have around...that really does work! Come say hi :D

Valerie said...

I love that picture! :) Glad you finally had a few sunshine rays to try it out! Cupcakes look yummy.
I've cooked with an apple box oven (for RS) and a reflector oven (at YW camp).

You'll have to share all your tricks and techniques. :)

Mikki said...

Pretty cool. I've wondered how well those work. I guess in the wintertime, there's always the trusty ol' fireplace or firepit to cook by.

CB said...

I had never seen one of these before - very cool!

Jenny said...

so cool.... I remember trying to make a solar oven at girls camp one year to bake a cake. It turned out alright! I like your solar oven better.

Heather said...

That is so cool! I wouldn't mind having one of those!