CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Saturday, September 26, 2009

Apple Pie Filling


This is a FIRST for me!  Three posts in 3 days!
 Here is the apple pie filling recipe that is super easy - especially if you have someone to help. 

Apple Pie Filling
4 1/2 cups sugar
1 tsp. salt
4 tsp. cinnamon
1 cup corn starch
1 tsp. nutmeg
3 Tablespoons lemon juice
2 to 3 drops yellow food coloring (optional)

Put first 5 ingredients in a large pan.  Stir together.  Add 10 cups water.  Cook until thick.  Add food coloring and lemon juice. Remove from heat. This is usually enough to cover 6 to 7 quarts of apples.

Peel, core, and slice apples.  I used this thing to do all the work for me.  It saves alot of time, but, you can still do it by hand.


Fill the quart jars with the slices.  Really push them in tight.  Pour sauce over the apples in the jar.  It may take a while for the thickened sauce to ooze over the apple slices.  (I like to do it one jar at a time so the apples don't darken)  Place lids and rings on the jars and process in a water bath for 20 minutes.  One jar makes an 8 inch pie.  Can also be used for apple cobblers, topping for ice cream, or just out of the jar!

Thought I'd show you how the soup looks when opened and ready to serve.  Tonight for the Women's Conference, I'm taking a crock-pot of the chicken soup.  Here you can see that I have added my bottled chicken and a can of corn to 3 quarts of the vegetable soup.



Here is a picture from an earlier post made with the vegetable soup with beef boullion and tomato soup.  I added green beans, corn and hamburger.


Perfect Fall meal!

15 comments:

gigi said...

I was wondering if it could be used with splenda?? For the diabetic in my house? Might have to give it a try :)

Thanks for sharing and for posting 3 days in a row! All good stuff.

Welcome to the Garden of Egan said...

I'd like you to know that you have ruined me! I was planning on NOT doing any canning this year BUT due to your posts I now dug up carrots and potatoes and onions and have tomatoes and guess what I HAVE to do???? Your tomato soup looked so good. I don't wanna do it but I want to, does that make sense?
Your chicken soup looks so yummmy. Thanks for making me busy next week!

Melanie said...

Mmmmmmmmmm. Sounds YUMMY! I am too scared to bottle stuff. I should try!

Valerie said...

Okay, that seals the deal. We are moving in! Let me know when you have a room available! :)
I have a HUGE "to-do" list for canning next year. Thanks for inspiring me. (I was going to do some canning this year, but yeah, it's not happening!)

wendy said...

I LOVE fall soups and buns. That is such comfort food eh. But---the apple pie---although "to Die for" if I eat that, how will I get into my wedding jeans. (tee,hee)
I'll let myself go AFTER the wedding.

Abatevintage said...

Connie, that looks incredibly yummy wow your food looks scrumpish. I will take four crackers, and a side of milk with my soup please :0) It was delicious. Thank you dear. Have a wonderful Sunday.

Blessings,
Heidi

Kazzy said...

You are going to food storage heaven, and I will miss you.

Bobbi Jo Nichols said...

All I can say is YUMMY! Hugs, Bobbi Jo

Ann Marie said...

I LOVE soups!
We need to have a blog party sometime! If Cherie ever comes down here.. we need to all get together... I'll let you bring the apple pie! ;) he-he

Yvonne said...

Thanks for posting the apple pie filling recipe--yum.

The soups look delicious.

Sondra said...

Yeah! 3 posts in 3 day - and post of a most delicious nature! I have determined that I need to make a "Canning" section in my cook book and add all of these great ideas. It all looks yummy and easy on those days you are to tired to pull something together. I'm all for easy living! I am going to have to get busy canning!

Barbaloot said...

That soup looks delicious! I make apple pie pretty frequently---it's the crust that I hate doing.

Small House said...

shhhh....I'm at work, taking a little break. AND THIS LOOKS SO GOOD! Beats what I'm having right now. I want to do this. I'll probalby just file it away, and put it in my next summer plan. EITHER WAY....THANK YOU!!!!!
Sandra

Kimmie said...

Connie, I just have to THANK YOU for being such a positive influence in my life. Until this year we haven't had a garden that has produced much of anything, but this year we are swimming in potatoes, carrots, onions, squash, tomatoes, etc....

It's because of your post on Vegetable soup that I went and purchased a Pressure Cooker over the weekend and that is what we are going to do this week at night time...take our potatoes, carrots and onions and make them into jars of vegetable soup so we can enjoy the abundance of our vegetables through the winter/spring months. There is nothing that I hate worse than when things go to waste and I'm so glad to have a solution to preserve them.

I'm working on making your tomato soup as well!! Thanks for the inspiration! Enjoy your day!

Anonymous said...

Apple pie sounds so yummy right now.