CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Friday, December 18, 2009

Caring for the Poor and Needy

Last week, in the local newspaper, there was an article stating that there are 4 "focuses" in the LDS church; Proclaim the Gospel, Redeem the Dead, Perfect the Saints, and Care for the Poor and Needy.
Each year at this time, people in our ward (church) donate money to the "Christmas Fund" to help those who are struggling financially and could use some help to buy Christmas gifts for loved ones.  The money is then used to buy Walmart gift cards to be given to the designated recipients. This year is no different.  There are many families in our neighborhood who are dealing with loss of job, staggering medical bills, and other economic woes.  In the past 3 years, I have had the opportunity to "play Santa" by delivering these cards to many people in our neighborhood.  After putting the gift card in an envelope, I wait until dark, (that would be a good movie title) don my dark apparel,  then deliver the goods anonymously.
Tonight's the night I do it again.  There are 8 families who will have a nice surprise.  (Hopefully the surprise won't be an old woman lying in their yard with a broken ankle). In my mind's eye, I see myself taping the card to the door, ringing the doorbell, flying off the porch, running through the streets, jumping over bushes and fences, all to keep my presence unknown.


However, I know in my heart, I'm not moving as quickly as I like to think.


Hopefully I won't get caught!
Have a great weekend!

11 comments:

Kristina P. said...

My branch does this too. I've already done some stuff this year, but I've been feeling like I need to do more.

Brenda said...

Love the walker picture! Once while we were "delivering" the people we were delivering to drove up, so we ran and jumped into the back of our pickup...and as we were driving off we realized that their teen age son had jumped in our pick up with us! So much for being sneaky!
Good luck to you!

Joanie said...

Oh Connie,
I have seen you in action running down the hall. Hope all goes well tonight. We will have to get together and just sit and talk.

Jenny said...

OH Fun Fun Fun!!! Watch those ice patches.

gigi said...

I know you are quick on your feet, you'll do fine :) I love this kind of fun, ti's the best.
Be blessed,
Merry Christmas.

Stampin' Rx said...

Love the granny picture. Hope you had fun doing the sneaking around.

Have a great weekend!

Yvonne said...

One of the best parts of Christmas is having the opportunity to do those kinds of things. ENJOY.

That walker picture is so cute.

Kazzy said...

The speed of the run all depends on who is driving the getaway car.

You are like an angel, with your big heart.

Hope the ankles survived!

Camille said...

Oh we know how limber you are! You're 50 - you can kick, bend, and kick. The first picture symbolizes you, and ironically enough, that seco. And picture represents me more. Good thing I didn't go with you - I would have really slowed things down! :)

Valerie said...

I hope it went well! That is my children's favorite part (besides their own gifts I'm sure) of Christmas. THEY do all the running. I just drive the car. :)

Ann Marie said...

Psh... you do marathons.. you'll be great!!!

This would be so fun!
I love this time of year! There is so much giving and service.. truly the most wonderful time of the year!