CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Tuesday, December 1, 2009

From Hawaii to Mexico in one short post!

What could be better than receiving a special Maui mail surprise in December?  OK, you're right, going to Hawaii would be better but this is the next best thing!  I got this wonderful surprise from Linda!  She spent 2 weeks in Maui and shared her trip through pictures and through the mail!  The calendar has the most breath-taking pictures I've ever seen!  Thank you Linda for the taste of Maui!


Now we're off to Mexico! (sort of)
One of my favorite childhood meals is Open-faced Enchiladas.  My mom made them several times a month for us and that might be the reason why I like Mexican food so much!  This is one of the easiest meals to make.
I have discovered a bit of a twist on this recipe and I'll pass it along to you. 

Open Faced Enchiladas
1 lb. browned ground beef ( I used my bottled hamburger)
1 can enchilada sauce
1 can tomato sauce
corn tortillas

Here's the twist to the recipe.  I make my own enchilada sauce.  It's super easy and costs only pennies to make.  So, if you want it super, super simple, buy the enchilada sauce.  If you want it delicious and economical and still easy, try this recipe:

Enchilada Sauce
2 Tablespoons vegetable oil
2 Tablespoons flour
2 Tablespoons chili powder (if you want it more mild, use 1 1/2 T.)
1/2 tsp. ground cumin
1 8 oz. can tomato sauce
2 cups water
1 tsp salt
 1/4 tsp. garlic powder

Heat oil in large 2-quart sauce pan; stir in flour and chili powder cook for 1 minute


Add remaining ingredients, bring to a boil and simmer for about 10 minutes.  Makes 3 cups.
See, I told you it was simple!
Add the ground beef from the top recipe (forget about the tomato sauce)

Place 1 or 2 corn tortillas in bubbling sauce.  Cover the tortillas with the sauce and leave for about 30 seconds.  If you leave too long, they'll break apart while removing from the pan - but that's OK if they do. With a spatula remove the tortillas and place on plate.  We like to put 2 tortillas at a time on our plate. Spoon a little more sauce on top.


Top with cheese,  lettuce,  tomatoes, sour cream, onions, cilantro, olives or anything else you'd like.
(Just a little disclaimer, I created this plate to look nice for the picture.  Yours is going to be covered with sauce - I guarantee it!)


Enjoy!

18 comments:

Kristina P. said...

I will eat anything Mexican.

Well, food wise.

Welcome to the Garden of Egan said...

Looks yummy. Thanks for the enchilada sauce recipe cause I've always wanted to make my own rather than buy the stuff.

Congrats on the taste of Hawaii! Don't you wish you could have been in her camera bag? I know I did.

Brenda said...

We have these alot for Sunday lunch! We LOVE them! I bet they are even better with homemade sauce...can't wait to try it! Thanks MUCHO!

Valerie said...

Well, we love Mexican food at our house. I will have to try this soon! Looks yummy.
Thanks for the disclaimer about the photo! :)

Julie Harward said...

Oh dear...now I am hungry again!!! Looks so good! I will use these for sure! Loved the post below too..temple sq. is so awesome! Come say hi :D

Ann Marie said...

Hawaii and Enchilada's = Happy! ♥

KC said...

I have always wanted a recipe for enchilada sauce...I knew I should have asked you a LONG time ago. Can I have a copy of your recipe book?

Jenny said...

My favorite two things, Hawaii & Mexican food. Yummy!!!

Yvonne said...

I love Mexican food--now if I could just make those to eat sitting on a veranda in Hawaii IT WOULD BE PERFECT ; )

Camille said...

Mmmm... open faced enchiladas... I miss them!

Valerie said...

What a nice friend you have, sharing her vacation!

I've copied this recipe and put it on my menu for this week. I'm not a fan of canned enchilada sauce so I'm looking forward to trying this one.

Together We Save said...

Oh my goodness... this looks so yummy!!

Jill K said...

These enchiladas are my favoritos.

Kazzy said...

Yum. I just copied this recipe into an email to myself. Ole!

Kimmie said...

Connie, I seriously think we were sister in another world, because we are always thinking about posting similar things!

I made up homemade enchiladas a few weeks ago, took photos and life has been too hectic to do that post (I'm planning on doing it in January after the holidays).

Anywho, I make my own enchilada sauce as well, although, mine it different. I want to try out your sauce to see how it compares.

Looks absolutely delicious!! And your plate looks like something you could serve in a restaurant. VERY TALENTED WOMAN YOU ARE!!

Natalie said...

Your enchiladas look so yummy. I can't buy sauce here in Belgium or France and I can't wait to try out your recipe. Thanks.
By the way, my daughter has not received the picture. Probably busy Christmas season.

Christy Burnett said...

I'm hungry now!!! Yum!!

Jenny said...

Great minds think alike, we had Enchiladas yesterday for dinner along with some chocolate from Switzerland.