CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Wednesday, December 9, 2009

The Reason...

Tonight we visited a woman in our ward (church) whose only daughter and her 9-year-old granddaughter were killed in a car accident a few weeks ago.  We cried with her and we laughed with her.  We gave her this picture .


It's entitled "The Good Shepherd" and was painted by Simon Dewey.
During the Christmas season we talk about hope and peace.  Our friend has hope this season.  Hope that she will see her daughter and granddaughter again.  With that hope brings peace.  That's not to say she doesn't mourn.  She told us that there's a big hole in her heart.  She misses them both dearly.


painting by Liz Lemon Swindle
The reason for Christmas starts with the birth of our Savior, Jesus Christ.  It doesn't end there.  He suffered for our sins and died that we may live again!  That knowledge gives us solace during mourning and reason to rejoice!
While we're stressing out over the preparations and activities of the holiday season, let's take a moment to give thanks for the precious babe born in Bethlehem who is our Savior, Jesus Christ.

14 comments:

Yvonne said...

Thanks for the beautiful reminder. I'm so sorry for your friend. We are so blessed to have The Plan of Salvation. (I just don't know how people without it every get a tragedy like that.)

I love those pictures.

Enjoy the concert this evening.

Kazzy said...

How tragic. I am glad you are her leader during this hard hard time in her life.

It is so important to remember that the Savior is the foundation in our lives. Thanks for sharing.

Welcome to the Garden of Egan said...

Thanks for the beautiful reminder. Reminder to slow down and enjoy.

Sharon said...

We have so much to be thankful for - even in our sorrow.

Erin Ann said...

The painting by Liz Swindle is one of my favorites. One of my co-worker's grandchildren passed away on Sunday and it has been a bittersweet reminder of the pain and joy associated with these moments in life. What a blessing to have our Savior

Kristina P. said...

What a lovely gesture, Connie.

Camille said...

My heart aches for Karen! I can't imagine the loss and pain she must feel losing her daughter and granddaughter. What a great reminder you've posted here.
I love the pic by Liz Lemon Swindle you've listed - and her other one with the baby on her should and the wrinkled forehead.

Camille said...

By the way, I LOVE your updated pictures on your sidebar of your grandkids :)

Valerie said...

Connie,
Thanks for this beautiful reminder of hope and peace.
I was (am) so sorry to hear of this tragedy.
Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Heffalump said...

I pray regularly that my children will all outlive me.
Thanks for the reminder of what this season is really about. I don't think enough people take the time to think about that.

Julie Harward said...

I LOVE THOSE MOMENTS WHEN WE REALLY CAN HELP OTHERS..SHARING IN THEIR GRIEF, LIFTING WHERE WE CAN. I LOVE THIS SEASON TOO..SO MUCH! Come say hi :D

Ann Marie said...

Stories like this break my heart.
Even with the plan of salvation.. a loss is one of the greatest sorrows I think we feel here on earth. What a beautiful gift you gave.. but I'm sure the visit was even appreciated more.

I hope she feels love and comfort this season..

Thanks for sharing.. XO

Christy Burnett said...

I am touched by your message. Thank you for sharing. I am blessed to have you for a friend. Hugs.

Jenny said...

Very heart felt post, thank you for sharing. Love Simon Dewey's art work. My favorite is the "The Good Shepherd".