CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Friday, February 5, 2010

Laundry Soap

I have a recipe that will save you lots of money!  This will make 10 gallons of laundry soap.
You'll need Borax, Washing Soda and a bar of Fels Naptha (try saying that 3 times fast)


Put the bar of Fels Naptha soap in a food processor and grate.   It looks a bit like cheese, so don't let your family put it on a tortilla!


Put the grated soap in a large sauce pan.  Add 4 cups water and bring to a boil.


In the meantime, fill a 5 gallon bucket half full of hot water. Add 1 cup Arm & Hammer Washing Soda and 1/2 cup Borax.  Stir.



Keep a close eye on your pan of soap.  It boils over easily.   Boil and stir until the soap is dissolved. Add to the 5 gallon bucket.  Stir well then fill the bucket with hot water.  Cover with a lid and let sit over night.


  As you can see, the soap has become gel-like.  Stir well.  Use a container such as an empty laundry container, empty apple juice or orange juice bottle.  Fill half way with the soap then add water to fill.  Shake well.  Use 1 cup laundry soap per washload.

Laundry Soap
1 bar Fels Naptha Soap
1/2 cup 20 Mule Team Borax
1 cup Arm & Hammer Washing Soda

Follow the above instructions.  All the supplies are in the laundry aisle of your store. You can buy enough product to make a year supply of laundry soap for $15.00!
This is the first time I've made this.  I've been using it for a week and it seems to clean well and it smells good.  What more could I want?


14 comments:

Kristina P. said...

You are awesome! This is so cool!

Julie P said...

I'm so glad you posted this! We're on the last bottle of laundry soap, and i was going to go look for a recipe. Wheee!!! (and who ever thought I'd be excited about making my own LAUNDRY SOAP?)

gigi said...

You amaze me!!!!!!!!!!

Valerie said...

What a great idea! :)
Thanks for the awesome tutorial.

Cherie said...

That is pretty cool. You know we buy certain things our entire life and never ever think about making them ourselves.

linda said...

I may just give this a try sometime! Thank you for sharing!

Camille said...

Then wipe it on the nearest 5-year-old and watch them squeal!

Jenny said...

I will add it to my list of must try's. I have wondered if it might be more cost efficient for our family if I gave this a try. Due to a bed wetter, I do alot of laundry each week.

Brenda said...

Thanks for this reciepe...I printed it out and I'm going to share it with our R.S.! GREAT IDEA!

Sell...Party Of 4 said...

Now that is inventive, and way LESS expensive. I am lacking the motivation to do it in the next, ah lets say year...but I want to try it!

Dorothy said...

Wow, this is amazing and today we have to save wherever we can. My husband and I will try this.

Dorothy from grammology
grammology.com

Yvonne said...

Thanks. I'll have to give it a try if I can find all of those ingredients here in Canada.

Small House said...

I've heard of this before, and even think I had the recipe once. Let us know if it cleans your clothes after using it a week or so. I might be interested in trying it!
Sandra

Valerie said...

This is a cool idea! I am going to copy it and give it to the lady in our RS who is the guru of home storage and self sufficiency. And I might just give it a try myself!