CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Like Mother, Like Daughter

True Confessions!
I was not a perfect mother! At times I was impatient and intolerant of disobedient behavior.

One day, while nursing the baby, I had a 3 year old who was being obstinate. I asked her a few times to stop her behavior but she continued to do her obnoxious thing. I removed my shoe and tossed it at her (notice I didn't say "threw it at her" but it depends on who's telling the story) to get her attention...or...maybe to take out my frustration, I don't know, it was so long ago!

It must have scarred her for life, though, because she brings it up occasionally to let me know that it was NOT an appropriate thing to do! Forget that it was a size 10 shoe coming at her!

This daughter is a very patient, and loving mother to 2 young children.


Fast forward to today! I got a text from this "scarred" daughter to let me know she had "tossed" a shoe at HER daughter while nursing the baby because the daughter was being "bad."

What? My granddaughter being bad?

I'm still smiling!

What's the moral of this story? Beats me! But I think she might understand that even wonderful, patient, and beautiful moms aren't always perfect.

I must confess again.

Her actions aren't as bad as mine, her shoe is only a size 9.



10 comments:

Joanie said...

Reminds me of a similar family story. Matt was acting up in a restaurant when he was about 6 so I decided I would discipline him outside. As I'm pulling him outside he starts chanting "please don't hit me with your shoe" something I had never done. Kids say the darnedest things.

gigi said...

My mama threw my shoe at me becasue I couldn't find it for 30 minutes and when she did she threw it at me and it hit me in the head. Every now and then like every 5 years or so she'll call and say she is sorry and it hurts her heart. Just hurt my head!

Unknown said...

Oh.My.Gosh. My stomach hurts form laughing.

I never threw a shoe, but I backhanded a smart mouth and to this day I get...remember when you gave me a bloody nose mom?

Eh, it's a long way from your heart...suck it up! ;op

Kazzy said...

I do have a memory of my mom chasing my brothers around with her slipper, but I was a good girl and was able to steer clear. :)

Camille said...

Mine's an 11 - imagine the damage I could do to my children! I'm just grateful I didn't deserve that type of discipline in my growing up years! :)

Jill K said...

Let me go ahead an tell the story the right way.

I was about 6. And I was just sitting quietly reading my scriptures. I decided to share what I had learned from my readings with everybody.
And then you unzipped your steel-toe stiletto boot and threw it at me.
I guess you weren't feeling very spiritual that day.

wendy said...

VERY true. I wonder sometimes how my children reached adulthood -----and they seem more patient then me. My daughter, when her 2 children are "naughty" mom what did you do ------I told her ---dear, you tie them up and don't feed them for a few days and tell them if they don't behave you'll feed them to the bears.
WORKS

Kazzy said...

HA HA Love Jill's retelling of the story!

Erin Ann said...

I might need a pair of those stilleto, steel-toed boots one day! And your 10's would fit me!

CB said...

That is the cutest story!
I love it when the grown kids become their parents! ha ha

Your blog is very fun! So glad you came to visit mine :D